Is Keto anti-inflammatory?
The short answer is, it can be. But it’s not always the case. The fact is, if you have thyroid imbalance, PCOS, Hypothyroidism or Hashimoto’s Disease, keto looks a little different.
Here’s a quick explanation of how a regular keto diet goes:
A typical keto (ketogenic) diet is high in fat and low in carbs, to put your body into ketosis. This is a state where your body creates ‘ketones’ as a source of energy (instead of carbohydrates).
Ketones are generated from fat stores, so you’re burning fat, rather than carbs. It’s a popular diet, which can be effective for weight loss, but many people find it hard to maintain long-term. It is restrictive, excludes a lot of foods, and there are typically lots of weighing and counting of your food.
Here I’ll share more about keto diets and inflammation, and how The Keto Girl method may well be the best option for you.
Issues with keto diets and inflammation
For women with hormone imbalances, ordinary keto diets have a few red flags! Typical keto diets rely on high amounts of trigger foods that can cause inflammation and slow your metabolism. These triggers include:
- High fat, high dairy. Keto diets typically exclude all forms of carbs, and instead usually feature lots of high-fat, high-dairy snacks. Dairy in your diet can aggravate and inflame a hormone imbalance – making you feel worse! So, if you suffer from thyroid imbalance, consuming dairy can lead to insulin resistance and consistent inflammation.
- Gluten. A lot of keto-friendly snacks contain gluten. Gluten is a naturally occurring protein found in wheat, rye, barley, and other grains and processed foods. Gluten is inflammatory for thyroid imbalances, so again, it can thwart your weight loss goals and make your symptoms worse.
- Eggs. Eggs are a good source of protein. And, if they’re prepared right, they are healthy as well as tasty… so it’s easy to see why they form a major part of the traditional keto diet. BUT, for thyroid imbalances, eggs are inflammatory, making this a problem for your gut and digestive system.
- Excessive fasting. Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s Disease cause the thyroid to slow down, which leads to a sluggish metabolism. Excessive fasting stresses your thyroid out. In turn, this can slow your metabolism down further, leaving you feeling tired, lethargic, and unable to lose weight.
The Keto Girl method is different
If you have a hormone imbalance, maybe you’ve tried an ordinary keto diet in the past, and not seen the results you want. Maybe you love the benefits of keto but found it restrictive and hard to maintain. That’s because keto looks different for women with a thyroid imbalance.
The Keto Girl Method IS different.
The Keto Girl Method allows women to trust their bodies. It is simple, sustainable, and shows you how to make your keto anti-inflammatory, heal your hormones, and feel great.
No gluten, dairy, or eggs
I never say never, because I want you to love your food and have fun. But limiting inflammation is key to balancing your hormone levels. So, avoiding trigger foods such as gluten, dairy and eggs will reduce flare-ups of your symptoms.
- Gluten. As well as causing inflammation, gluten can slow your metabolism down, leaving you hungry and unfilled. When you replace gluten with other nutrients, you avoid inflammation AND food cravings because you’re feeling full and satisfied.
- Eggs can actually be indigestible in women with conditions such as Hypothyroidism or Hashimoto’s. A food intolerance aggravates symptoms and causes – you guessed it – inflammation.
- Dairy often features ordinary keto diets which focus on high fat and low carb. BUT women suffering from thyroid imbalance typically have a higher level of Insulin Growth Factor 1 in their bodies. Consuming dairy increases this level further still, leading to insulin resistance which is a primary root cause of many hormone imbalances.
No carb tracking
The Keto Girl method is a sustainable, holistic, and mindful approach to your health. With Keto Girl coaching, you can tailor a program to suit you, as everyone has a different tolerance for carbs.
So, say goodbye to ‘one size fits all meal plans and carb tracking. The Keto Girl method has NO carb tracking, where we build in days for higher carbs to keep your metabolism working at an optimal rate.
Fasting can have a positive impact on your health and weight loss journey. It can decrease sugar cravings, help regulate your metabolism and regulate your insulin production. And what’s more, it’s not excessive – you can harness the benefits of fasting just 2-3 times a week.
For more information, and to see if it’s right for you, read more on the benefits of intermittent fasting for keto.
Anti-inflammatory keto foods for Keto Girls
Support your hormone health and get to the root cause of your symptoms and weight gain. Regular keto focuses on excluding almost all carbs. However, the Keto Girl Method allows for a few of your favorite ‘fun’ carb treats now and then, while still getting results.
Your Keto Girl plan will feature lots of:
- Lean protein
- Lean beef
- Leafy greens
- bell peppers
- Healthy oils such as olive oil
Ready to learn how to make your keto anti-inflammatory?
The Keto Girl Method is a holistic approach to keto and anti-inflammatory foods. It’s smart and sustainable so you can optimize your metabolism and improve (or even reverse) your hormone imbalance symptoms.
I promise it’s different from the keto diet you may have tried before. With the right diet, you can lose weight, feel great, AND still eat and drink the things you enjoy.
Apply today and join my Keto Girl coaching group.